Re: getopt: illegal option -- l when trying to run prepare-company-database.sh on BSD

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Mikkel Høgh <..hidden..> wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD 9.1 server that I've been trying to set up LSMB on, but I’ve hit a snag. When I run the script to configure the database, I get this error:
>

> (..hidden..) (27/pts/2/1) (/usr/local/ledgersmb)
> % sudo tools/prepare-company-database.sh --company reveal --pgsql-contrib /usr/local/share/postgresql/extension
> getopt: illegal option -- l
>
> I can only assume it's because the script uses a GNU-specific option to getopt.
>
> Why are these scripts not written in Perl? Thought it was the perfect language for this kind of thing – and more portable :)

One of the key reasons for the shell scripts is that they are partly
provided as documentation.  Perl tools are possible and we actually
have the main logic done for this in the LedgerSMB::Database class.
The big thing is that between the options we have already:

a)  some convoluted options in make test which can be used to create
validated databases, run tests on existing databases, and even create
temporary databases to test code with, dropping them when complete
(see README.tests for more)

b)  these shell scripts

c)  the setup.pl web setup wizard

I have been moving on to things broken or otherwise in need of changes
and hoping to get to it at some point.  It hasn't been near the top of
my priority list though.  If someone wants to do this though I would
be happy to provide guidance.  Otherwise it may be a little bit.....