Re: Upgrading from SQL-Ledger 2.6.22 to LedgerSMB 1.3

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi Chris,

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Ross Bearman
<..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently looking to migrate from SQL-Ledger over to LedgerSMB. I read
> one the migration help page that 2.6 > 1.1.12 was recommended. But I'm not
> sure if this has changed with 1.3?

If you go to 1.1.12 you can just log in and it will try to upgrade your db.  It's what we recommend to less technically savvy individuals.    If you are comfortable with psql and doing this on the command line, I would skip this actually and basically: upgrade the db (only) to 1.2.26 and then use the setup.pl to complete.

1)  SELECT version FROM defaults;
2)  Look  in the sql/legacy directory for the upgrade scripts.  These are labelled Pg-upgrade-[old version]-[new version].sql

Run these until you get to Pg-upgrade-2.6.18-2.6.19.sql (inclusive--- that's 1.1 -> 1.2).

Now go to the setup.pl and move from 1.2 to 1.3.

> Would it be better to update SQL-Ledger to 2.8 than migrate, or migrate to
> 1.1 than update to 1.3?

The simplest thing to do is to migrate to 1.1.12, then to 1.2.x, then
to 1.3.0, but I am currently running a pilot program testing our
migration capabilities, and would be happy to:
1)  Migrate you to 1.2.25 and then
2)  Migrate you to 1.3.0

I am making a limited offer for migration assistance and have a few
spaces left in it, if you are interested, the work would be provided
free of charge as a way of providing better testing and feedback of
the migration capabilities.

Could you share any experiences you've had so far with the above migration path? (2.6->1.2.25 ->1.3)?

Sure.  It works.  Takes a little knowledge to do right because of data integrity stuff being tightened up.  Those are the biggest problems.    Keep an eye out for errors and expect tht if you do see them, they are caused by data integrity constraints being tightened.