Re: Ledgersmb 1.3.3: Super User can't login to company database

Hil

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Steven Marshall
<..hidden..> wrote:
> I am trying to understand the purpose of the Super User that is used on the
> initial screen of Setup.pl.  I have created a Superuser called "ledgersmb"
> with a password in PostgreSQL.

You could use "postgres" instead of "ledgersmb."  It just has to be a
superuser.  This is a database user which creates and sets up the
database for you.

>  I then proceed to create a new company using
> Setup.pl using my superuser "ledgersmb".  After successfully creating my new
> company, I am not able to login to the new company's ledgersmb instance
> using the superuser "ledgersmb" role.  I am able to login with the user
> account that was created during the company creation process using Setup.pl
> and also with any other user I add via the Ledgersmb UI.

That is correct.

> The use case I am trying to resolve is the following.  If I manage several
> companies on Ledgersmb, it would be useful to be able to login to any of
> these companies' ledgersmb instances to help resolve issues.

Yes.

>  For example, I
> may help manage/troubleshoot their users' role permissions for example. I
> was expecting to be able to do that using the superuser account, but it
> appears that the only way to do this would be to create a new user for each
> company for myself so that I could be the Super Administrator for example.

Not quite correct.  The "import" switch allows you to import an
existing postgresql user for the administrator account.

>  If I have 100 companies though on my system and decide to change my
> password, wouldn't I have to change it a 100 times (one for each company)?
>  What would be the best approach to setting up a Super Administrator?

If you import the account into all the other databases, the password
management is consistent across the databases.  However, you are not
guaranteed the same permissions on all databases.  You could have one
set on one database and another set on another.

Hope this helps,
Chris Travers