Re: LedgerSMB 1.3.0 RC3 announced

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Alvin Starr <..hidden..> wrote:
> It took a while to get things worked out again.
> So I have a 1.2.21 database I am trying to upgrade.
>
> I found that just restoring the 1.2.x db and running the convert does
> not do enough.
> I found I had to run the prepare_company_database afterwards to get the
> other tables.
> I found I had to go in and give everybody a proper country and that was
> not caught in the  preflight tests.
> We were not putting county in a lot of customers/vendors just because
> almost all are Canada and the few others are special cases.
> I  know its not "proper" but that's the way it ended up getting entered.
>

> The conversion still needs a little work.
> My thought would be.
> 1) create the new company.
> 2) restore the old backup to a new database xxx
> 3) run the prefilght tests on xxx.
> 4) run the conversion that copies xxx into the new company and then
> processes all the changes.
>
> also it finished up with version 1.2.99

Was this RC3 or RC2?  ISTR RC2 ending in version 1.2.99 and needing a
manual update.

The issue with the prepare db script is (in RC2, and maybe RC3) an
issue mostly with functions and data types not being created across
the board.  The reason is that an external application is supposed to
run the conversion and then reload all modules in in the
sql/modules/LOADORDER.  The setup.pl and the prepare database tool
both do this.

I am not quite confident with the RC3 migration utilities yet.  I
expect to do more testing tomorrow and Friday with those (and
eventually add SQL-Ledger 2.8 migration support too).

I will send you a copy of the tools as my testing progresses.