From: John Locke [mailto:..hidden..
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 2:42 PM
To: ..hidden..
Subject: Re: [Ledger-smb-users] LedgerSMB on Windows

Thomas,

Just a note -- Ubuntu 10.04 is very much a current version -- it's the most recent "Long Term Support" (LTS) release, and what we use in production. (We still have some 8.04 boxes, and one 6.06 that's getting retired).

Don't use a newer release, or you'll end up stranded. 11.04 will have support until October 2012, while 10.04 will have support until April of 2015.

That's for servers, anyway. Why upgrade any more often than you have to?
We upgrade our desktops all the time (often ahead of the release) but this is just too much work for servers...

For the same reason, we pick CentOS or Redhat over Fedora.

Cheers,
John

On 09/19/2011 11:35 AM, Thomas Bullock wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>
> Thank you, too, for your approach.  My linux computer OS is Ubuntu 10.4 (I think), so it no longer is the current version.
>
> There is this installation path
> (http://www.howtoforge.com/ledgersmb_debian_etch) for Debian etch.  My
> linux is not so strong yet that I can tell whether Debian etch is
> close or far from Ubuntu 10.4
>
> You mention Firefox.  I migrated from that to Chrome over a year ago.  In your context are there reasons not to use Chrome?
>
> I appreciate your quick reply and suggestions.  There is a lot for me to get on top of whether it is Windows or Linux.  I guess I will be going slowly.
>
> Tom

All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure contains a definitive record of customers, application performance, security threats, fraudulent activity and more. Splunk takes this data and makes sense of it. Business sense. IT sense. Common sense.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy1