Re: Poll: Most helpful feature after 1.3?

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM, o1bigtenor <..hidden..> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:53 AM, o1bigtenor <..hidden..> wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>> It might also be worth pointing out this list as a place for install help.
>>>
>> Sorry I forgot to address this in the previous post.
>>
>> At this time (June/July 2010) I was trying to install LedgerSMB I
>> hadn't seen a post on either of the devel or the user fora for over a
>> period of months not knowing what that meant I understood it to mean
>> that no one was active on the lists at that time and tried to find
>> someone to help. The results were not a lot of fun.
>
> Just to be clear here, it's good to hear about your bad experience so
> we can help ensure it doesn't happen again.  This feedback is also
> good and worth it.  At that time I was overly swamped with paid
> LedgerSMB work and unfortunately let the mailing list participation
> slide a bit.  I don't expect this to recur because a lot of things are
> being restructured to ensure I always set aside some time to
> participate more fully in this way.

Sounds like very positive progress.

I do hope that my statements have not been taken as being harsh. That
was not at all the intent.

In my opinion the lack of a good accounting (better record keeping)
type of program is really hurting the whole open source movement into
the business sector.

The lack of  decent cad/cam/cae software hurts the engineering sector.
(Getting something decent seems to generally be in the $50k+ area. CAM
stuff is very badly hampered by the presently very proprietary nature
of things. I think that DOS is still being used on many machines sold
today!)

The financial sector seems to have embraced open source in at least
some of its aspects.

The general office area I believe is even better served in Open Source
than by the proprietary firms.

Education I am not so sure of.

Darald