Re: Development progress

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 8:13 AM, John Locke <..hidden..> wrote:
>>> Hi, all,
>>>
>>> It's really great to see rapid progress these days. Way to go!
>>>
>>> I had written up a bit of a response several weeks ago when Erik was
>>> getting involved, and I guess I never sent it. The one bit that's still
>>> relevant is a suggestion for a CLI tool...
>>>
>> Sounds very useful for a subproject.
>
> To be completely clear: Chris filed this as an enhancement request in
> the tracker.

The other side to it is:

as a subproject it can have its own release cycle.  Meaning new
features can be added without waiting for a new version of LedgerSMB.
As things become stable and universal enough, we might include them in
core.

I am going to be refactoring the current Perl code for setting up new
databases, creating a LedgerSMB/DBSetuo.pm which tools can use,  I am
thinking also about abstracting interfaces to support what John
suggests to the extent that db loading uses similar functionality.
After that, I think it would be helpful to look at exactly what is
needed for such a tool.