Re: If we are putting in 1.3 proposals....

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Alvin Starr <..hidden..> wrote:
> One thing I would like to see is the ability to attach binary data files
> to things like orders and invoices and payments.

First of all this is a great request.  Thanks for sharing.  Yes, I
think this is a needed feature.  No I don't think we can get it in
when 1.3 ships.  However, see below.  Things are not without hope.

> A lot of our invoices have associated files and it would be nice to be
> able to keep these associated with the generated invoice.
> We also scan and print copies of all the cheques used to pay
> invoices(The copies have saved our asses a few times) and keeping a
> scanned copy would be nicer than the big filing cabinet.
> It would be nice to scan invoices coming in to save on the paper load.

I think this a much needed feature, one we have gone around the list
about in the past.

> If someone wants to push a proposal at me to do this. We may be able to
> fund the work.

If you are interested in funding the work, I will send you a proposal.
 It would probably at this point be an add-on, namely an officially
supported patch and extension (already we have the same for template
transactions and fixed asset handling/depreciation).  I don't think it
would be a huge amount of work but I'd have to think this through a
bit.  The largest issue would probably be for displaying the file
attached to a payment.