Re: Future of LedgerSMB: Ideas and RFC

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Luke wrote:

Why not start phasing out (by rewriting) SL/old code, during the
sub-releases of 1.3?
After the main release of 1.3.0, set a list of things to be rewritten.  As
bugs are fixed, etc., and new versions are released, the replacement code
can be incorporated with no real notice to the users.

I should add, because it may effect my view of things: I'm not exactly committed to the idea that no new features or functionality can be added between major releases.

If it looks like a new thing after, then it's a new major release. However, if a search feature is added, a report gets some new capabilities, or a new report or document type is added, I do not see that as a bad thing at all. It may require that the manuals need to be updated more frequently, but they do now, anyway.

Gradual improvement until you need to change something huge.

Making it modular?  Definitely a major release.
Adding a new API? Possibly a new major release, but maybe not if that's the only thing that changed. Restoring features that existed in 1.2, but which didn't make it in to 1.3.0? Minor release.

Just my $.02.

As a result, even if something needs to be taken out of 1.3.0 for now in order to make it work for release, we can add it back at 1.3.2 or something.

Luke