Re: Bank Statements.

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [Ledger-smb-users] Bank Statements.
From: Chris Travers <..hidden..>
To: ..hidden..
Date: Fri 08 Jan 2010 10:00:26 AM PST

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 7:26 PM, David Godfrey <..hidden..
> <mailto:..hidden..>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     What does everyone do to enter information from bank statements?
>     And once entered how do you reconcile this info with other
>     transactions?
>
>     David
>
> Not supported in 1.2.  In 1.3, there is no manual entry of wrong
> items, but the reconciliation workflow allows you to enter which items
> are on which statement, assuming they match what are in the books.
>
> One can also build plugins to load CSV or other text files from the
> bank to auto-import the information.  This DOES allow one to import
> mismatching entries, which will then be flagged for further action.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Chris Travers

Hi, Chris,

Very much looking forward to this--my bookkeepers are threatening to
move me to QuickBooks, due to reconciliation issues in 1.2 and earlier,
where transactions get unreconciled and then the reconciliation needs to
be re-done.

I attempted to upgrade to 1.3 over the holidays, but didn't find an
upgrade path--it looks like a lot of the upgrade scripts still need to
be written.

I did do some data wrangling in a spreadsheet, split out account
headings from accounts in the COA, and modified account_save() and
account_header_save() stored functions so I could import them and keep
the old ids (after I discovered how all the acc_trans used the chart id,
not the "accno"). I also was able to import acc_trans after fixing 3
transactions. And then I ran out of time to keep working on this.

So is there any guidance/documentation on how to import the other
crucial data from older installations? I could work on some upgrade
scripts, but it would be nice if I could get the gist of what needs to
happen, for the remaining critical stuff: ar, ap, invoice, gl, customer,
vendor, oe, parts...

Cheers,
John Locke
http://freelock.com