Re: Ledger SMB Installation

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:46, Stroller <..hidden..> wrote:

[snip]

> This is also covered in the INSTALL document:
> <http://ledger-smb.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ledger-smb/branches/1.2/INSTALL?view=markup
>  >
> or <http://tinyurl.com/nph7m8>.
>
> Lines 120 - 139:
>
>   8) Check Dependencies:
>
>   The Build.PL script can be used to test for unmet dependencies and
> run
>   other tests. It doesn't install anything yet, but it will tell you
>   what you are missing. To check for dependencies, run:

Yep.  I need to retest a virgin install (simple thanx to VirtualBox),
but the last time I tried on 1.2.x (which was a while ago) I had a few
dependencies still to fix from CPAN.  Will patch and submit next time
I do this.  1.3 seems a bit better in this department.

[snip]

> Personally, I prefer to use the distro's package manager, if possible,
> in preference to calling CPAN directly. I fear that, if I do that, my
> distro's package manager may later clobber the files because it
> doesn't know about them.

Hmm.  And you would care about this because ...???  Distro packages
will be older, but will still probably work.  Personally, I'd rather
have my modules from CPAN.  But then, I prefer my bread fresh too.
;-).

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
           - Nemesis Air Racing Team motto