Re: SL to Ledger-SMB - Is it a good idea and why?

Hi, David,

david wrote:
> I've been lurking here, wondering about changing over. It seems like
> it's  time to make a decision, given the progressive drift apart of the
> two systems.

We switched our company at the end of January, when we ran into cash
income statements not adding up correctly in SQL-Ledger.

I'm convinced, for the reasons others have already given, that
Ledger-SMB is the best path forward. I've gotten some great help on the
IRC channel, the manual is included, and there's a real sense of
community here...  There also seems to be much more momentum here on
features that matter--security, payroll, a better API, etc.

But the biggest reason is just that we get the sense any patches we do
are much more likely to get incorporated into Ledger-SMB than into
SQL-Ledger.

> With due respect to Chris and other developers, the questions are:
>

> * what is the down side to SMB vis-a-vis SL?

So far I don't see any downside whatsoever.
> * how painful is the transition?

We switched to 1.1.7. Our biggest pain was moving SQL-Ledger to a new
server, to upgrade Postgres to 8.1. Going from a working SQL-Ledger on
the new server to Ledger-SMB was a piece of cake. (we were migrating
from a Mandrake 9.1 server to Ubuntu Dapper).
> * are people using SMB happily?

So far, yes... not noticing any substantial difference in actual usage,
but we haven't moved to 1.2 yet.
> * is anyone sorry they did it?

Nope.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"