Re: Enabling/using Perl 5.10+

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 11:09:31AM +0200, Chris Travers wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 3:23 AM, R. Ransbottom <..hidden..> wrote:

> IIRC, given/when is deprecated again :-P

That supports either argument.

> Yeah, my experience is  a lot of features don't need to be turned on which
> can lead to accidental problems if you have a version that is too old.  The
> // operator is one that has bitten me in the past.

> My understanding is that what the use version statement does is enable a
> set of features associated with a given Perl version or higher.

No. 'use v5.10.0;' will by default disable later features like 'fc' in
higher versions.  You can still use them if you know they are there.

> But some
> parse-level constructs are not affected.

Yes.

> So my view here is that we document minimal supported Perl versions.  We
> don't enforce this with a use VERSION statement.  We use VERSION as needed
> for our code and that is it.

I don't understand your meaning.  When would use VERSION be needed?  How
can it be used without enforcement?  Yes, we can catch an exception and
do something else, but then why bother--just do the something else.

Be well,
Rob