Re: Minimum required setup?

Hi,

Sorry for the late response, I chatted about this with Erik privately, and then forgot to send a follow-up email.

Basically copy-pasting from that chat....

David:

However I also would have to say that every possible setting should either have a sane auto default or "require" a default to be set on company creation or force all menu options except setup ones to he disabled until they are set

Erik:
yup. that's the direction I want to head with that e-mail.
when a setting is required, it should be requested at company-setup-time.
when a feature needs to be enabled, new requirements will be enabled and have to be requested too.
e.g. in case you want to use services or stock, there are particular setup requirements.
I think a large population does not use FX, so doesn't have fx accounts set up.
fair enough, but basic accounting operations such as payment reversal have to work in a configuration like that.
David:
Yes. As I said, perhaps the first thing to do would be have a "login time" check for any unset defaults, and if any are found disable all menu options except those that allow you to fix the problem
yep. For Fx though shouldn't we auto default to the primary currency?
Erik:
well, when you create a company without loading a CoA, what is the primary currency?

David:
That's why I'm suggesting those checks should be done from login
That becomes the catchall point.
Erik:
Yea. I see where you're going in that respect.
I think we agree.

David:
Once we have that enforcing manual correction of any missing defaults we have time to come up with strategies to deal with them in a better way.
  • enter at creation (although they may not always be known then)
  • auto select at login of an admin via a popup with yes/no/cancel.

Regards
David G