Re: Why 'cash'/'check'/'deposit'/'other' prefix in the 'source' field of the single payment screen?

I have to argue against removing this feature entirely, It's saved me a lot of time in the past.

Consider it gone. (I've filed an issue for it, because I'm concentrating on other stuff right now, but it should be very much bite-sized, so, please pick it up! https://github.com/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB/issues/2320)

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 4:05 AM, Michael Richardson <..hidden..> wrote:

Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
    > Every once in a while this item pops up -- I may even have posed it in
    > the past myself -- and today it popped up again: I've received some
    > feedback regarding 1.5 through private channels.

I change it to checque and enter the checque number, and "other" and enter
the wire transfer info.  I also never process cash.

I see little use for it.

I'd actually vote for retaining it, but allowing a per-company and per-user default.

Thanks for speaking up! (It's not gone yet :-) )

For most businesses I've dealt with, including my own, the type of payment is relevant during end of day actions and any activity related to out of balance amounts held locally.

Lets say at the end of day (or any other time) we do a cash count, or an EFTPOS Totals printout and the figures don't match what's on the system.
If we don't have a record of how a payment was taken (cash vs EFTPOS vs Cheque etc) we have to go through ALL received amounts and Recorded amounts to isolate the discrepancy.

Right. In the context of a POS, I understand the need to make the distinction. But shouldn't that be part of the POS software (which we don't have at this point)?

[ snip ]

I do believe that if we are going to retain this capability, then we should ensure it's available EVERYWHERE payments can be entered.
Yup. That does make sense.

Also, even if it's removed from the UI, the storage facility should be retained in the DB for use with any POS system that may be connected.
Ah. There's a pain point here: there *is* no separate field at the moment. If it were a separate field, that'd actually make much more sense to me; it'd become a dimension you can dependably run reports and queries on.

Thinking about it, I think we should have a field in the database which records the payment type for integrated POS systems to use. However, since our interface doesn't actually provide a POS, I'd say that it shouldn't be possible to enter the field in our UI (we might consider presenting the content of the field when it's filled).

How about that?

--
Bye,

Erik.