Re: Why 'cash'/'check'/'deposit'/'other' prefix in the 'source' field of the single payment screen?

Hi,

I have to argue against removing this feature entirely, It's saved me a lot of time in the past.

Below is a copy of what I've just added to the issue report....

On 28/11/16 06:33, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
Consider it gone. (I've filed an issue for it, because I'm concentrating on other stuff right now, but it should be very much bite-sized, so, please pick it up! https://github.com/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB/issues/2320)

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 4:05 AM, Michael Richardson <..hidden..> wrote:

Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
    > Every once in a while this item pops up -- I may even have posed it in
    > the past myself -- and today it popped up again: I've received some
    > feedback regarding 1.5 through private channels.

I change it to checque and enter the checque number, and "other" and enter
the wire transfer info.  I also never process cash.

I see little use for it.

I'd actually vote for retaining it, but allowing a per-company and per-user default.
For most businesses I've dealt with, including my own, the type of payment is relevant during end of day actions and any activity related to out of balance amounts held locally.

Lets say at the end of day (or any other time) we do a cash count, or an EFTPOS Totals printout and the figures don't match what's on the system.
If we don't have a record of how a payment was taken (cash vs EFTPOS vs Cheque etc) we have to go through ALL received amounts and Recorded amounts to isolate the discrepancy.

However, if we have the payment type recorded, various cases are expedited.
If the cash amount and the recorded cash payments have a simple pair of digits swapped, it's likely a simple data entry error that's easily resolved.
Using this method, it's often easy to tell if an incorrect amount has been taken or given as change.

It's also fairly easy to then match up payments that have been incorrectly attributed as cash vs EFTPOS for example.

I do believe that if we are going to retain this capability, then we should ensure it's available EVERYWHERE payments can be entered.

Also, even if it's removed from the UI, the storage facility should be retained in the DB for use with any POS system that may be connected.

Regards
David G