Why 'cash'/'check'/'deposit'/'other' prefix in the 'source' field of the single payment screen?

Hi all,

Every once in a while this item pops up -- I may even have posed it in the past myself -- and today it popped up again: I've received some feedback regarding 1.5 through private channels.

What is the role of the drop-down? And why do we want to have it? I mean, personally I never change it from the default value (cash) even though I *never* process cash.
From the feedback that I got today, the person changes it to 'other' on every bank transaction, even though they never process anything other than bank payments.

Do we need that dropdown? Can we kill it? Should we link it to the selected account?

Regards,

--
Bye,

Erik.