Re: Recommend we don't support users running built dojo on a git/hg/svn branch

On 30/07/16 23:45, Chris Travers wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 2:20 PM, David G <..hidden..> wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> In the past I would have to have agreed with you, however, in the last few
>> days, ylavoie (irc/matrix) has  implemented a git based technique to handle
>> correct rebuilding of dojo only when needed for the travis tests.
>>
>> I believe the "exact" same technique can be used to resolve the issue on
>> production installations as well.
>> However in a production environment, rather than "automatically" rebuilding,
>> we can simply block login at the login page with a message that dojo modules
>> need to be rebuilt.
> Also aside from the fact that our build process should not be based on
> whatever version control software someone happens to be using, would
> it not make a lot more sense to just note in the log that dojo might
> need to be rebuilt and that performance will suffer and fail back to
> using non-built?
I agree that we probably need to allow for people that want to use
NON-GIT VCS, can you send me a patch off list for your current changes
to Makefile and I'll see about catering for git and hg OOTB

Unfortunately simply falling back to src isn't necessarily the best option.
As we now have dojo as a submodule it's quite possible that the
submodule (and therefore dojo src) may be out of date as well.
The only robust solution I can conceive is to
    * compare available built version against expected version, and use
the built version if there is a match
    * else compare available src version against expected version, and
use the src version if there is a match
        In this case we also should notify on the login page that we are
using dojo src (can be unobtrusive but should be easy to point people at)
    * else Block Login with a sane error message stating that installed
dojo modules are out of date and need to be updated/rebuilt