Re: 1.5 testing

Hi Kaare,

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Kaare Rasmussen <..hidden..> wrote:
Admittedly, I've been testing on beta 4, but ISTM that the issues I
mention here aren't on the list of fixes/enhancements. Anyway, here goes.

Thanks so much for taking the time to test *and* to provide us with feedback!

Installation with

perl Makefile.PL
make

Yes. Those sound good.

make install
Getting back to this one below

(fixing a ton of issues with various modules) and the

The issues you mention, are those issues with modules we provided? Or with modules we depend on?

http://<server>/setup.pl

works very well, given that you DON'T try to change the db_namespace
parameter in the configuration file. Not sure what the option is for;
perhaps the tables and functions can be moved later?

In all honesty, I have no idea. I never tried. But it seems like something we should support all around, that is when creating the database *and* when consulting it. Supporting it when consulting seems rather silly if we can't create it. So, I created an issue for it in the project tracker: https://github.com/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB/issues/1509

Trying to add users also works well, given that you don't try to add an
existing PostgreSQL user, e.g. myself. A not very helpful error message
takes a little time to decipher. Perhaps it's possible, or could be
possible in the future? Anyway, I guess it's just a matter of adding to
the user table.

 Actually, you probably saw the "Import" radio button in the screen where you were creating the user? Selecting that allows you to use an existing database user as a LedgerSMB application user.

Now I'm out of time, stuck with the problem that the locale isn't
initialized in LedgerSMB::App_State, leading to the inability to add
customers. Where is it supposed to get the locale from?

Actually, my list wasn't complete: this was fixed on April 11 and is part of beta5. Upgrading should help you out. The problem is that the initialization is in the global section of the code, however, with the code being pre-loaded (i.e. loaded outside of the context of one specific request), there *is* no locale since there's no user. So, the variable initialization has moved.

Getting back to your:
make install
This is the regular instruction, but really isn't necessary for LedgerSMB. Even, I'd say that it's better *not* done. (I'm working on the installation instructions, as you noticed...) The reason that you may not want to do it is that you can run multiple parallel instances in case you don't install the libraries globally. Testing upgrades is easier that way too. I've even removed the possibility to run this command from 1.5.0-beta6/-rc1.

--
Bye,

Erik.

Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.