Re: contact class --- can only select/create employees in contacts

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 1:23 AM, Michael Richardson <..hidden..> wrote:
Michael Richardson <..hidden..> wrote:
    > A few weeks ago (maybe even December...) we were discussing if I had a data
    > or code issue with Add Contact, as the drop-down only show "Employee" as a
    > class.

I found the problem.

Great!

After some sleuthing, and changing the name "Employee" to "Emplopee" in the
table and noting the failure to find the right role, I ran:

sswbooks=# select entity__list_classes();
 entity__list_classes
----------------------
 (1,Vendor,t)
 (2,Customer,t)
 (3,Employee,t)
 (4,Contact,t)
 (5,Lead,t)
 (6,Referral,t)
 (7,"Hot Lead",t)
 (8,"Cold Lead",t)

looks good, but when logged as myself:

sswbooks=> select entity__list_classes();
 entity__list_classes
----------------------
 (3,Employee,t)
(1 row)

Ok. So, you only have access to the "Employee" role?

I used setup.pl to edit my account, finding some seemingly random boxes
unchecked. I checked them all, and now I have all options in the drop-down.

Ok. Perfect. You could have found the same through HR->Employee->Search->(you)->(Tab)User -> "Save Groups"

May I suggest that this is entirely the wrong approach to a user interface?

Yes, you may :-) I'm not sure I concur though...

It's great to drive the permissions from database permissions, but I think
that all of the options should be visible, just not selectable.

 ... If I'd follow that line of reasoning, would we have to show all cost-dimensions in the application too? I mean: then we would have to show projects, departments, business units, etc, etc in the ar/ap invoice, ar/ap transaction and gl transaction entry. That's a *lot* of tab-key entries which aren't necessary for most users.

--
Bye,

Erik.

Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.