Re: Requirements for uploading to CPAN?

I don't think we are quite there yet.

If we go this way, the bin files will probably end up in /usr/bin/ which is probably not where we want them.

I think we need to move the bin files into lib/LedgerSMB/ somewhere and rename them.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi Rob,

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 2:40 PM, R. Ransbottom <..hidden..> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 03:16:10PM +0100, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

> Does this mean we can start uploading our releases (as of 1.5.0, that is)
> to CPAN as soon as we merge this PR? Or are there other requirements as
> well?

I would pose the inverse:  Does the Perl module system suffice
for Lsmb's needs?  My concern regards rolling out and rolling back
versions.

Good point. And actually, until recently, I wouldn't have known a better answer than "hmm, that's indeed a weak spot". However, recently I learned about "local::lib" which allows one to install Perl libraries to a specifically named directory. It can be used with CPAN, which means that upon installing LedgerSMB, you'd be able to install its dependencies to the same directory (if you want).
The way it's done is that the content of that directory overlays the content of the system-provided libraries, allowing for different versions of a module to be installed for "main Perl" and "local::lib" 'instances'.

Although 'local::lib' isn't anywhere in our documentation currently, I think that Perl should be able to handle the concern you raise through the creation of multiple local::lib directories. So, today, I'm answering your point with "yes, it can" -- noting that we need this to be documentated somewhere.

--
Bye,

Erik.

Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more