Re: restart or fix

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 8:19 PM, Michael Richardson <..hidden..> wrote:
Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:
    > I'll set up a 1.4.12 instance myself and see if I can produce the
    > "employee" issue there. If so, then I would expect the problem to be
    > resolved by 1.4.23, because I'm not having it at the moment and I'm not
    > aware of any other users of recent versions that may have it. I'll get
    > back to you about this in a few hours. If I need to send screenshots, I
    > may need to do that off-list (to prevent excess list traffic; there's
    > only a limited size per list directed e-mail).

    > Ok. I be seeing what you're seeing. Are your customers "Person" records? Or
    > do you create Company records for your customers?

I guess so...

Ok. I guess my question should be: "Should your customers be "Person"s rather than "Company"s? However, I then went to check the 1.3 instance I have running and I'm finding that this difference doesn't exist there. That is to say, the difference exists on a database level, if I read the database correctly, but it doesn't exist in the UI.

How did your data get into 1.3? I checked the data migration script that came with 1.4 (to migrate from 1.2) and from that I can't really see any obvious problems which would cause customers/vendors to be migrated as persons instead of companies.

Could you check for me that every 'id' field value in the 'entity' table is *either* in the 'person' table's 'entity_id' field *or* in the equally named field of the 'company' table (or in neither)?

at somepoint in 1.4 I was unable to create any new records at
all, which fortunately hasn't been that big a deal.

So I have whatever format of contacts the 1.3->1.4 migration script
created...

That would be a problematic migration issue. I'll check the migration script.

I'm upgrading to 1.4.23 this week.
There's no data migration for 1.4.12->1.4.23 as there was for 1.3->1.4, so I wouldn't expect new problems. Hopefully I can help you resolve your old problems this week too.
Looking at the 1.3->1.4 migration script, no immediate obvious errors stood out. If you have the old database that you migrated from 1.3 to 1.4.12 and you would not mind sharing it with me (privately; under NDA, if you want), I could play with it to see if I can reproduce these problems with newer 1.4 versions and/or 1.5; hopefully that will clear up (a) what you need to do to your database to correct the issue and (b) prevent the same kind of problems for others. I appreciate that you might not want to share your database though, or that the old database is no longer available. [I'm expecting a private reaction, not a public one, if you want to take me up on it.]

--
Bye,

Erik.

Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.