Re: Copyright Dates

Hi David,

Good point; I haven't updated the copyright dates on any of the files that I changed in 2015 (or 2014, for that matter, probably).

There is controversy over the desirability of this though; the FSF requires it, but Danial Berlin, a (former) committer at Subversion *and* a lawyer, says on the Subversion developers list that it's better *not* to have them. (See http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2015-03/0317.shtml or http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2015-03/#271 for the entire thread.)

Also note that copyright doesn't "work" on a per-file level, rather it works for the Work as a whole (which defeats the purpose of having a copyright per file).

Personally, I'd love to have the copyright year(s) in a few easy-to-update files instead of everywhere in our source tree.

@Devs:
I think this is a question to our general entire developers community: Can we have a simplified reference per-file which directs the reader to the LICENSE file for the full copyright statement?

Regards,

Erik.