Re: Cleaning up the repository. How does the community feel about it?

On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Robert James Clay <..hidden..> wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 09:50:59 AM David G wrote:

> It is worth pointing out that it is undesirable to use an OS package to
> provide dojo as there are known to be issues from minor release to minor
> release that would break LedgerSMB.

  What are those issues and how do they break LedgerSMB? That is;  how is that
being tested and what does that find?  And why are those minor releases"  being
used, if they cause such issues?
John says he has experience that there are slight incompatibilities between versions 1.7, 1.8, ...  and that very careful testing is required to be sure your code remains working. Assuming that's true, I can be nothing but extremely disappointed about the development processes used.
One of the questions that come to mind though is: how do they keep their own stuff working if the various versions break expectations? It seems some widgets haven't been changed since the early days of Dojo. Surely those would be broken now if this goes on too long?

And as I noted elsewhere; I have so far not seen any issues using the Debian
packages, although I'll admit that the operational testing I do with it is not
that  extensive. Nor have there been comments about such issues that I'm aware
of from anyone using the 1.4.x versions available at apt.ledgersmb.org.

We have been using a similar setup (although not based on your packages, obviously), with the Dojo packages from Debian Wheezy and Debian Jessie. So far, I've had no complaints. I do know we get operational testing, because I get more than enough problem reports on 1.4. So far, none of those were caused by our Dojo versions.

Note that the LedgerSMB source file used for the Debian v1.4.x packages are
repacked without the dojo related files (but after the archive is checked
against the gpg key), removing some 10,196 files, and sym links are installed
pointing to the dojo/dojo, dojo/dijit, & dojo/dojox directories from the dojo
Debian packages that are installed .  Note also that Debian v8 ('Jessie') has
dojo v1.10.2 while Debian testing currently has dojo v1.10.4.
Ah. But those are patch releases (not minors). So, from Jessie to testing, there shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,

Erik.