Re: 1.4.18-rc2 released

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Nick Prater <..hidden..> wrote:
> This also corrects the issue with the tax calculation box not submitting
> the calculated information back to the server.   Otherwise same changelog.
>
> Feel free to test and report issues

Thanks for the work on this. Making changes to aa.pl feels like walking on
eggs - apparently minor changes seem to have all manner of side-effects.

I've tested 1.4.18-rc2. Adding transactions is still broken. I've added
notes to the github issue (which has been marked closed - don't think I
can reopen it):

I have added a correction to the fix.  Please test it from the tip of the 1.4 branch.

My feeling is that if this doesn't work it would be better to roll back part or all of the fix, document the problem, and defer to 1.4.19 so as to take it out of the release cycle so we have room for a real commit and verify cycle.  There are apparently a couple issues in this corner and this is why we usually don't allow new fixes in after rc1 and only fix changes local to that release.  I decided to make an exception here and somewhat regret it at this point.  But I have decided not to issue an rc3 with this change at present.  If everyone is happy with the fix we could do an RC3 or just release.

The legacy code, as you have noted, is remarkably fragile.  That is one reason we are trying to remove it.  This is particularly true in orders, invoices, and the ar/ap transaction system.  Unfortunately, removing the code where it really matters is proving to be a rather major challenge because it is so interdependent.  I have some thoughts on getting there.  I am not quite sure yet the best way forward there.  It might be good to start a discussion about that as well.

I would like ot second Erik's thank you also on your continued efforts on testing.  It is quite valuable.    The only question right now is how we go forward regarding the 1.4.18 release process.

https://github.com/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB/issues/963

Best wishes,

Nick

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more