LedgerSMB 1.4.0 RC3 out

Hi all;

While running extended tests, I found some failures in our new COGS test cases.  These have been fixed and a new RC for LedgerSMB 1.4 is out.

I wanted to share with you the significance of this because the COGS logic is newly tested using unit tests in 1.4.  This allows us to make guarantees that the logic works as designed, guarantees we can't easily make for previous versions.  The new logic also has fewer problem cases for manufacturing, and allows the development of heavier manufacturing capabilities going forward.

For example, 1.3 and earlier (dating back to SQL-Ledger) give wrong COGS information when the assembly BOM is altered between stocking the assembly and selling it.  I suspect that selling assemblies before the ap invoices for the parts also produces bad numbers.  1.4 prevents both these cases from happening.

The major advance however is in testability.  With previous versions, automated unit testing was just not possible.  With the current versions, we can test things to make sure the right numbers come out.  It was these tests which showed the problems that lead to this release.

I would like to suggest that anyone who depends on COGS should consider being an early adopter of 1.4, as soon as 1.4.0 is released.

http://www.efficito.com/learn_more