Re: Can different versions co-exist on the same system?

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM, RJ Clay <..hidden..> wrote:
On 04/27/2014 04:36 AM, Chris Travers wrote:
> There are some other bugs as well, but I trust the numbers pretty well
> on 1.4.
>
> As soon as I get the statement printing issue solved, I think we can
> move to rc's

    Speaking of which; can different versions of LedgerSMB co-exist on
the system?  Or, perhaps more specifically: at least on the same
Postgresql server?  If not by default, then with some some adjustments?

Yes.  There is a caveat in that logging into multiple versions simultaneously requires some configuration regarding the login cookies and they will share auth data unless you modify it (i.e. you will forcibly be logged into all using the same username).

    One thing that brings this question up for me are the Debian
packages.  I, of course, plan to continue to support LSMB v1.3 for
Debian v7 ('wheezy').  (Perhaps also Debian v8, 'jessie', depending...)
   That means continuing to get new versions uploaded to unstable,
having them transition to testing, then getting them backported.

    With v1.4 getting closer, need to think about the packaging for that
version.  First thing is, v1.3 and v1.4 packages need to be in the same
package repository at the same time.  That can be taken care of by
including the major and minor version in the package name;  currently
I'm inclined to use something like ledgersmb-1.3 and ledgersmb-1.4 (and
ledgersmb-1.2;  I still would like to create an updated package for that
version...)

I run 1.3 and 1.4 against the same pg server on the same Apache server.  The only caveats are that you should probably set the login cookie value to include the version in the ledgersmb.conf and you need to be aware that the auth domain is the same.

If the auth domain is an issue we could look at trying to fix it by including the version.

    But another thing is, can they then be installed on the same
system?  Or are the different minor versions (or any version?) mutually
exclusive?  Because if so, I'll need to set them up so that the packages
conflict.

    There was also an idea I had a while back about having different
versions installed such that one could be able to test new versions in
parallel with current working versions, without having to export the
databases to a different system.

RJ Clay

http://www.efficito.com/learn_more