Re: Error updating an old transaction

On 11/04/2014 01:15, Chris Travers wrote:

So I guess my questions as I go into this process are:

1.  How frequently do you find yourself having to modify a posted transaction?

We have VAT every quarter. It's then that I review everything and make corrections. I'd say I make changes to around 10 - 20% of transactions.

and

2.  How old is the transaction when you modify it?  Is this something you usually catch within days?  During bank reconciliation?  Something else?

Up to 3 months old. But then, when I do a final year wide review at the financial year end, I could be changing things that are as much as a year old.

I can appreciate the new functionality and the want to push forward with new features. But from what I've been experiencing with the code it would be nice to have some consolidation and shoring up of existing functionality. Otherwise the technical debt could greatly impede future development and have a negative effect on end users perceptions of the software.

When I check the logs I'm seeing lots of error regularly generated and that just shouldn't be. Before I add any Ux enhancements I really must add some improved error capture. I've got some code I've been meaning to put on CPAN for some time that gives some really good debug output when there is an error.

How does this sound:

* Improved debug output when there is an exception
* User submitted tests
* Automated email notification when a users software dies (user permitted).

For the latter, rather than seeing an ISE the user would have the option to email details of the error to us. Showing the message that will be sent so that they can decide whether there is any information they want to keep confidential. This can easily poll the lsmb server to see if they are on the latest version, and refuse to send/tell them to upgrade.

Perl tests are relatively easy to write. With some documented guidance advanced users could likely help to extend the automated tests.

Given the issues I keep finding through fairly limited use so far, I can only imagine a lot of the users are giving up with the software fairly quickly. This can't be doing the software's reputation any good.

Lyle

Lyle

Lyle

Put Bad Developers to Shame