Proposed best practices for Github repository

Hi;

As mentioned before we now have our primary LedgerSMB repository at https://github.com/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB and it is accessible via Subversion and Git.  With hg-git you can access via Mercurial as well though of course Mercurial named branches won't be exported back to git (git "branches" are Mercurial "bookmarks" and Mercurial "branches" function much more like additional repositories).  For those who depend on existing tools, you do not have to switch to a new VCS.

I would generally suggest that people check out their own clones of LedgerSMB and use the pull request system to handle merging back.  Particularly for Subversion users, it is important to avoid doing work in master, but instead use a feature branch.  You create the branch in the Github UI though I suspect that if branching doesn't work from the svn client, github may provide support for this (they have been really very good at getting our issues from svn diff resolved).

If you just want a local copy you can always just check out or clone the authoritative repo, but if you want to make contributions, it is better to work on your own Github clone using the tools you prefer.

http://www.efficito.com/learn_more