Re: Downtimeless upgrades

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 12:32 AM, Pongrácz István <..hidden..> wrote:

Hi Chris,

I am wondering, what about an automated upgrade process?

Part of the point of this is to make automated upgrades possible.

For example the workflow could be this:

  • The administrator simply overwrites all existing files, except ledgersmb.conf, of course, from the new release
  • Of course, he/she takes care about the owner/permission

Permissions shouldn't necessarily change for production files.
  • In a fresh login the upgrade detects that, a rebuild necessary and it do automatically and send a notification about the upgrade.
That violates basic db permissions as we currently have them set up.  So that part itself is not possible.

This is a draft idea, really need polish: what about already logged users/transactions, how to detect in runtime the changed files and version changes etc.

Basically what you need is some sort of atomic file upgrade, and some sort of atomic db upgrade.  DB transactions can take care of the db side.

But that would be reaaaallllllyyyyyy comfortable :)

For a single self-hosted solution where you don't have 24/7 uptime, I don't know really how you would have an update from a user login.  The goal here is to allow an administrative login to handle the update while users are currently connected.

http://www.efficito.com/learn_mor