Re: Towards a rental tracking module

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM, o1bigtenor <..hidden..> wrote:
I'm going to toss in my $0.015 worth because although I'm not running a rental business I am tracking equipment costs and use.

What I am doing is increasing the granularity of the database by adding -000 as a suffix on every account.
Then I am tracking each piece of equipment by its own number (001 to 999) - - - this is for fuel, repairs, parts, transport, depreciation and whatever else you want (using those unique numbers).
So for GIFI code 1740 (1740-001) I can designate a tractor (I am keeping a block of numbers so that I can group like pieces of equipment together). Then for fuel I could use a block of numbers there also (I am tracking each type of fuel and lubricant too) GIFI 9764 (its a farm that I'm piloting) and so on.

This is certainly a viable approach to the accounting.  I have clients who use this to track department vs shared costs for example.   And in fact, without the rental module, it's probably how I would recommend handling it.

http://www.efficito.com/learn_more