Re: 1.3: Taxes, sub cent invoice amounts and non sub-cent payments

Hi,

Just to clarify my position, I believe that the current behavior of storing sub-cent amounts in acc_trans is flat out wrong. We don't invoice the customer in sub-cent amounts -- we invoice and collect an amount rounded to the nearest cent. Anything more precise than that does not reflect the reality of our books.

Rounding errors are going to occur, when in tax collection you round for each invoice, but on tax payment, you round based on the total. The question is, is this amount ever enough to cause you to want to know exactly how many pennies more you might need to send to the tax authority?

The current state leads to confusing books, because they don't reflect the real transactions. Balancing out rounding errors is a common enough, and understandable thing for an accountant to handle (and I'm sure they have to do this with other accounting systems). While it may be "nice" to know the actual liability you've accrued for tax purposes, does this ever amount to enough to be worth our time? In my case it's never more than one or two cents, and just plain not worth any time spent on it whatsoever -- but the current case can lead to maddening state of the books.

But I think we can't make a blanket precision for rounding. This is an easy question for USD, and many currencies. It sounds like for Erik/EUR, there are different rounding rules that might add up to more -- what's the worst-case amount for rounding to be a problem?

And, as we start to delve into BTC, we need to allow far more precision there. Perhaps we need currency-specific, configurable rounding precisions?

(by the way, there might be a large new user base if we support BTC out of the box...)

I guess my interest is having my books match my bank statements and any customer invoices. I don't want phantom fractional transactions appearing -- they should reflect exactly the transaction that took place, and any other behavior is wrong, IMO.

--
John Locke
Principal, Freelock