Re: 1.3.38-rc1 on Monday?

Hi, Eric,

Oh, interesting. I think you and I are after exactly the same thing, but we're starting with a different report.

I use AR -> Reports -> Transactions (summary).

I'm guessing you use AR -> Reports -> Outstanding (detail).

A summary report on the first is almost exactly the same as a details report on the second. Almost, but not quite...

So yes, I see AR -> Reports -> Outstanding -> summary as not something I need all the time -- and if it's misleading, that should get fixed.

AR -> Reports -> Transactions -> detail has too much detail -- it expands all of the line items on invoices, so it's now much longer.

I'm seeing one difference between the two: Transactions is showing transactions that are out of balance by a fraction of a cent (the old invoices with calculated sales tax) while Outstanding omits them.

Otherwise we often are using Transactions to get a customer invoice history, by selecting the "closed" checkbox. For that reason alone, I would like to preserve the summary default there, though I can have people switch to the Outstanding report for the more typical use...

I wonder if it might make sense to actually split these into 3 reports? Seems like it would be confusing to have two reports lead to pretty much the same thing -- both with "summary" and "detail" options that do different things. What we have here are four different reports with two that are the same. How about splitting into something like:

- Invoices/Transactions (with options for open and closed, the report both you and I use)
- Customer outstanding totals (outstanding summary, hopefully fixed to only include open transactions)
- Items (Transaction detail report)

Not sure the second one is necessary, with the aging report also available...

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com