Re: Proposed changes to make it easier to ship after billing

My accounting background is limited; I'm much more familiar with business operations workflow.  So I'm not sure how to answer the question.

Thanks.
Brian

Brian Wolf
Phone: 410.367.2958
Email: ..hidden..
Try out Activus Secure Payments™, our recurring payments application.
On 05/26/2013 07:01 PM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

On May 26, 2013 11:59 PM, "Brian Wolf" <..hidden..> wrote:

> >>I am trying to figure out the best way to support easy shipping after billing.  The big problem right now is that unless and until we >>completely re-engineer both the invoice and order logic, getting a perfect solution in place is going to be a prohibitively large amount of >>work.  The basic point is that ideally unshipped orders should enter the system as orders, and only after they are shipped/delivered >>should they be invoiced.
>
> Unfortunately, that's not how most companies operate.  Instead, they will not ship the product until it's paid for.
> Perhaps the issue here is whether to look at it as an accounting workflow (the current sequence, which you've described) or a business operations workflow (the way most companies actually operate).

Well, I do think we should support the "pay before shipping"  workflow. The question is how to best map the required business workflow to a valid accounting workflow though.

Reading the wikipedia page on invoices confirms my understanding of the position of the invoice document. If you want to receive money in advance, a proforma invoice can be used, or an order can state pre-payment is required before shipment will take place.

If LSMB could automatically pay invoices for pre-paid orders, that might help, I'd say. Wouldn't it?

Bye,

Erik.