Re: Proposal to formalize end-of-life

As a business owner (farming and technology consulting), I have the
following suggestions:

1) educate business owners on the benefits of the Debian distribution
to allow long-term (30 year) support with no forced upgrades.

2) provide community support for 18 months

3) distribution support for the distribution's term

4) Provide offers for long-term support contracts (based on Debian)
so that I, as a business owner, have a full, up-front accounting of
the NPV of running whatever version I happen to be running on the
latest 'community' supported version/distribution combo.

As some background: I can buy a 30 year old combine for around $5,000,
and then fix it up, and the quality of the grain it harvests is exactly
the same as a brand-new $250,000 John Deere.

In 30 years I expect to be fabricating silicon for replacement CAN
controllers because at some point I'll be able to pick up some combines
that are fully functional, except for lack of a chip that nobody makes
anymore.

I would really like to see a 30 year NPV calculation of the total cost
of ownership of an up-front investment of say $10,000 in ledger-smb
consulting and setup, and running it for 30 years, vs what the NPV of
the upgrade treadmill of windows/macos/cloud hosting/quickbooks/whatever.

I think the formal 'end of life' proposal is that there *is* no end
of life, so long as you are happy with how everything works, and
understand you need to run this system on an isolated network that is
firewalled by something that *does* get security upgrades.