Re: Tables or css positioning for data entry forms?

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi everyone;

Since 1.3 I had been moving to semantic markup with css positioning (relative) for data entry forms.  This move is supposed to make it easier to support mobile devices and the like.  Unfortunately this has two huge tradeoffs.  The first is that relative positioning seems to generally demand a certain degree of internal knowledge regarding the size of label fields, and the like, and consequently, I expect this to create headaches for translators who may have to address this themselves.  Also cross-browser support for css positioning is iffy and so if we continue to go that route I think we are going to want to use refab toolkits.

I am actually thinking it might be worthwhile to move back to tables.  I dont think this would be a huge job to address this for 1.4 even.

What do people think?

Another way to look at it is to say that translators can't "just" translate words, but need to check the application for layout problems as well. If you look at translated desktop applications, you'll find that the resource files for windows, dialogs etc. have been adapted to fit the translated strings. I guess this is a similar problem: layout/positioning and content (text) seem to go together in this respect.

But then the question becomes: how can we add language specific CSS?

Bye,

Erik.