Re: Barman - disaster recovery of PostgreSQL server

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Håvard Sørli <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi,

Is there anyone here who has tested Barman ?

Barman (Backup and Recovery Manager) is an open-source administration
tool for disaster recovery of PostgreSQL server

http://www.pgbarman.org/about/barman-vs-pg_dump/

I haven't used it.  As with all backup/recovery planning, you need to look at what your recovery window is, and how you want to get there.  Having several backups of different kinds for mission-critical systems is not a bad idea.

As I understand it, their basic approach is to automate the base backup/wal archive method of backing up.  I don't think that comparing to pg_dump is really fair because these are very different backup methods and I think snapshot backups (i.e. pg_dump) are the way to go for many installations.  You have a larger loss of data, but you also have a much simpler backup/restore process with less that can go wrong.  You can also do the base backup/wal archive approach by yourself.  This buys you point in time recovery (recovery to just before some idiot dropped acc_trans for example) but it makes the actual backup/recovery process a bit more complex.

Hope this helps,

Håvard Sørli - http:/www.anix.no