Re: Call for testers: LedgerSMB running as a persistent service using Plack

On 16/08/2012 05:45, Chris Travers wrote:
Hi;

I have had a few customers asking for significant speedups and after some profiling have determined that a lot of the cost is with loading modules many of which have costly dependencies.  In a CGI environment these are reducing performance.  The good news is that this is a constant cost so as your database grows it will not get worse.  The bad news is that as long as we are in a CGI environment, the performance will not get better.

Right now I am completing a port of LedgerSMB trunk (to be 1.4) to Starlet/Plack.  I expect to have this finished up today.  I am having a few issues I need to get fixed.  After that I will backport to 1.3 and make it available as an add-on.  Aside from the problems, I have seen a very large performance increase with LedgerSMB running in this environment.  After this is stable, I will tackle Starman (which strangely is giving me different errors) and maybe an FCGI wrapper.

How interested are people in this?
We'd be very interested in this. I've often wondered how much overhead there was in continually loading and unloading modules

Nigel

Live Security Virtual Conference