Internal Server Error saving Purchase Transaction

I'm using ledgersmb 1.3.20, with Math::BigInt 1.997.

This results in an Internal Server Error page when I try to save a
Purchase Transaction.

The apache error log reports:
[Fri Jul 20 08:43:32 2012] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Can't call method
"is_zero" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/Math/BigInt.pm line
1197., referer: http://localhost/ledgersmb/ap.pl

In a thread on ledger-smb-users, Chris Travers said:

> The problem occurs when a number isn't properly initialized and parsed or
> formatted.  If we initialize to zero during the format process this has
> some side effects, so we have to do this in the bin/ files.  I believe we
> changed this in 1.4 so that uninitialized numbers are set as 0 for old
> code but it required a fair bit of other logic to prevent other problems
> from occurring.
>
> If you are on the -devel list I can post what I have done to track these
> sorts of problems down.  Otherwise I can reply privately (I try to keep
> this list somewhat free of discussion of the internals of the software).

Chris, I am now subscribed to -devel and would love to know more about
what you have done to track down these problems!

Link to original -users thread:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.finance.ledger.smb.user/6302

Many thanks.