Re: Contributing country-specific modules

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Oscar A. Valdez <..hidden..> wrote:
2012/7/7 Chris Travers <..hidden..>
On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Oscar A. Valdez
<..hidden..> wrote:
> How modular is LedgerSMB?
>
> Would it be possible to contribute country-specific modules, for example, a
> country specific tax report?

Hi Oscar:

Absolutely we are interested in country-specific modules.  What
specifically do you have in mind?

Well,  my auditors here in El Salvador are pestering me to produce a legally required GL report that I had done once in PHP for a SQL-Ledger database.

I was thinking about having it redone in Perl, and contributing it as a plugin module for LedgerSMB, if the latter's architecture allows plugins.

You probably want to start by reading this:
http://ledgersmbdev.blogspot.com/2011/10/introduction-to-soda.html

if you code your SQL as stored procedures following the conventions there (naming your inputs in_varname where varname is the HTTP input parameter name, then it is extremely easy to map the SQL into the your form filter.  The report logic would then become available to any add-on written in any other language.

The second thing to note is that we use Template Toolkit.  You may have an easy time converting PHP screens into TT templates.

Finally we have a framework for displaying tabular data called dynatable.  There is a learning curve there, so I would be happy to help with that part, providing guidance and maybe we can use it as an example for the next people.