Call off orders

Is there a preferred way to record a call-off order in ledgersmb?

At the moment we enter the initial order and then as the customer calls off we do partial shipments and partial invoices. This works fine but it does involve some out of band management between the order reception and the pick/pack function with the potential for dropping an order. Am I being stupid, or is there a better way?

We are currently running 1.2.21 and testing 1.3.18. Neither seems to have a way to handle this. Any thoughts from anyone?

Nigel