Re: Address formatting functionality

Drupal 7 has been addressing :-P these issues with an "addressfield" module ( http://drupal.org/project/addressfield ), which aims to incorporate the flexibility of xNAL - http://xml.coverpages.org/xnal.html .

The challenge for xNAL is to provide the ability to handle the following:
- About 36+ customer name formats
- Addresses of 241+ Countries
- About 130+ Address Formats
- Represented in 5,000+ languages (dialects)
- Should be application independent, ie., capable of being used for a variety of
  applications ranging from simple user profiling to name and address parsing, matching,
  validation and postal services
- Should be Platform independent
- Should be open, and
- Should be vendor neutral.

Might as well incorporate the discovery done by others!

I haven't looked into how Addressfield stores its data -- it does have to deal with similar location issues for tax jurisdiction as LSMB, and Drupal obviously uses a relational database instead of an XML object database, so I'd say it's worth seeing how they modeled this problem...

Cheers,
John