Re: Default Super-user login for setup.pl?

Hi Chris!

On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 07:01 -0400, Chris Travers wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Robert James Clay <..hidden..> wrote:
> >     Is there a reason why the Super-user login fielde in setup.pl is
> > defaulted to be "postgres" rather than "ledgersmb"? Considering how
> > using "ledgersmb" is emphasized in the documentation,

  As well as in the example scripts in the tools directory.

>  it seems confusing to me to still have it defaulted to "postgres"...

  And also not particularly useful, at least on a debian system, as that
user doesn't automatically get assigned a password (if you're going to
use it directly, you initially need to su from root to get there).
Certainly it could be used but that requires getting the password set
and if you're to do that, may as well create a separate user role for
it.  (That's certainly how I've figured it, judging from the examples in
the tool scripts.)

> >   (Note that I have it patched to be "ledgersmb" as of the 1.3.15-2 debian
> > package, which I'm hoping is on it's way into Debian unstable.)

> You could create a ledgersmb superuser, but that would require using
> command utils first.

    Which is what I do manually and I have a (hopefully good enough)
write up about doing that in the Debian package until such time as I can
get it working in the package install.  (Debian has helper scripts
available for such things but I need to get a better idea how they work.
Hopefully, will eventually get it to be useful for non-local database
servers as well...)

> I wonder if we have parts of our documentation out of date.  It used
> to be that we recommended creating a database as  a non-superuser
> named ledgersmb which the software would connect as.  With 1.3 that
> has changed so now we connect with user provided.

   Which I think is useful to have separate from the postgres user
itself and I've gone along with the example tools and use a db superuser
named 'ledgersmb'.

Jame