Re: Packaging LedgerSMB

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Robert James Clay <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 02:44 -0400, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011, Philippe Clérié wrote:
>> > Speaking of which, why aren't we using perl Makefile.PL ? It's a Perl
>> > program, and the command is used for the generic install?
>>
>> I can't answer your question as I have not worked on packaging ledger-smb
>> but I would not wait for the answer to go ahead and use it if it works.
>>
>> dh(1) will even pick it up automatically.
>
>    Since changing debian/rules over to using dh, I've again attempted
> to use that more and I think the issue is that the install target for
> the generated Makefile doesn't actually install all of the necessary
> files. Like the various *.pl files in the top level source directory,
> which I think are assumed to be staying where they are, and/or manually
> installed where the admin wants them to run from.  (The RPM spec file
> does not use it, & also installs to /usr/share/ledgersmb for those types
> of files.)

make install in fact does copy all files but unfortunately does to to
$ENV{PERLLIB} which is not what you want for the .pl files (or indeed
for other files if you ant to run multiple version side-by-side).  In
general I do not recommend make install as a means of installation but
if you only run one version of LedgerSMB and you run it on every
version no real harm is done.