Re: LedgerSMB 1.3.6-rc1 released

People,

On 2011-11-26 09:46, Chris Travers wrote:
On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:08 AM, David A. Bandel
<..hidden..> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 18:11, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:

[snip]

Ok.  So with a server, my primary concern is that upgrading things is
always a somewhat risky process.  Basically, when you upgrade, you
risk breaking things, so generally speaking you want to have longer
terms of support and a more lazy upgrade cycle.  And there are a
couple things about the Fedora upgrade process that are particularly
risky.  For example yum distrosync will upgrade major versions of
PostgreSQL for you, meaning if you didn't dump your data first, your
PostgreSQL db is now unusable.

I hope you're joking.  While a Debian upgrade is not the easiest thing in the world (they do their best to make it so, though), at least this
is not an issue.  You run postgresql versions in parallel until you
finally get rid of the old one because the new one works properly for
you.

I am not joking.  I always back up before an upgrade....
fortunately....  but I have noticed this happen.

I do a nightly pg_dump (in text mode these days ie not natively compressed) and again just before the upgrade if necessary. So I can just import back into the new DB. I keep as many daily backups as my backup drive allows and only delete old days when space starts running short (but I still keep EOM backups). It hasn't failed me so far but in this case I do not have to worry about having to upgrade from LSMB 1.2 to 1.3 - my other PG stuff doesn't have the same issues I guess . .

I've gone through 8.4->9.0->9.1 (and many before I can't remember)
upgrades w/ no problem (personally I use testing, even for my own
servers).  With Debian, they leave both database versions running
until you've dealt with any upgrade issues.  So far, I've only had
one, that was when a contrib stored procedure I was using didn't make
it from 8.4->9.0 (but it appeared again in 9.1).

That's the right way to do things.

Agreed.

Regards,

Phil.