Re: DB company default_language

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM, herman vierendeels
<..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> There already is a field  language_code in entity_credit_account.
>
> But there is something i do not understand in
> sql/modules/Company.sql
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION entity_credit_save
> all parameters have a name structure like in_fieldname
> except in_language
> May i not change  in_language to in_language_code ?

Sure, change this.  Just make sure that any related inputs are renamed
or created with the name minus the in_ prefix.

> Should we also not define language_code in entity_credit_account as:
> in_language_code varchar(6) with default 'en_US'   references
> language(code) on delete SET DEFAULT

Sure.

> As we are discussing web-services, fat client <--> api-layer <--> fat
> DB-function, we should protect
> db-fields as much as possible , are we not ?

The procedural API is how the db is encapsulated.  I think *most* fat
clients should go through the db API directly (for example, web
services to a POS terminal adds complexity and latency into a very
performance-sensitive environment).

There are however a number of use cases where web services beat the db api....

Hope this makes sense.