Re: Ledger-smb-devel Digest, Vol 58, Issue 21

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for your response pointing us to existing work - and for
starting this work. I saw your work is from 2009. Did you work against
1.3 in a newer (maybe unpublished) version?

> Yes, that would be me, please.

> Two some years ago I did some preliminary work on:
> http://search.cpan.org/~hesco/LedgerSMB-API-0.04a/lib/LedgerSMB/API.pm
>
> And have experience writing RESTful interfaces using Application::REST,
> I think it is.

Do I interpret your reaction correctly if I see you volunteering to
help coding this access method? If so, that's GREAT!

You're subscribed to the digest. Do you want to be explicitly included
in the CC-list, is that what you're asking?

Anyway, I see your previous work implements a Perl (client) library
for access to LSMB. The work that John and I are thinking about is to
implement an extension (server-side) with a well defined interface for
generic web access to LSMB. With this generic (language independent)
interface, it should be easy to create a Perl client library.

Application modules which have been rewritten during the 1.3 cycle
include the 'business partner' module: the system to create
customers/vendors. This is likely to remain stable for a longer time
than - say - AR/AP, which is on the brink of being rewritten in 1.4.

How to proceed from here? One way would be to define the REST
interface specs. From there, everybody who's interested could start
contributing. A starting point could be to take it from John's
proposal. Do you have any comments (good and bad) to the proposal from
John?

Thanks again!

Bye,

Erik.