Tax account creation: how to 'detect' tax accounts?

In an attempt to fix bug 3321964, I'm running into the situation that
our model doesn't seem to be able to detect which accounts are tax
accounts. I'm inclined to add a checkmark to the accounts table to
that purpose -- including a checkmark in the column where also
'contra' and 'recon' are located.

The problem I'm seeing is that the accounts creation functions don't
add records to the 'tax' table. But how would they know how to set up
the records in that table without integrating the System->Taxes screen
into the account creation screen?

In other words: I think there should be a separate 'I'm a tax account'
boolean which indicates inclusion into the System->Taxes screen and
the records in the tax table which describe how taxes can and should
be calculated.

My line of reasoning also finds its roots in the fact that the account
link checkmarks can be removed, but that probably does not invalidate
the nature of the account. Or should that mean the account shouldn't
be shown in System->Taxes screen?

Bye,

Erik.