Re: Much more evolved database preparation script

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 6:11 AM, Lyle <..hidden..> wrote:
> On 27/05/2011 22:03, Chris Travers wrote:
>> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Chris Bennett
>> <..hidden..>  wrote:
>>> I also agree, I don't want apache2 on my webserver.
>>> I will only be running it locally.
>> What web server would you prefer to be running?
>
> Personally I don't think open source projects like this should be tied
> to any particular web server or OS. I'd go far as to say any particular
> DB as well, but that's another argument all together and usually much
> harder to achieve.

Currently LedgerSMB 1.3 requires a web server with a few very specific
capabilities:
1)  The ability to pass http authentication information to CGI scripts
2)  The ability to run CGI scripts.

Currently the way it is coded means we Microsoft IIS on Windows and
Apache are both supported.  IIS is the less flexible of the two and so
auth passing was coded to that web server's expectations, with the
current Apache configuration using mod_rewrite to mimic IIS in that
regard.

However if auth passing is possible even with differences, it should
be straight forward to ensure that we can support it.  If a web server
does not support auth passing, it will not work with LedgerSMB 1.3.