Re: user creation rfc

On Fri, 27 May 2011, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

Hi Chris,

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi all;

I have gone through the patch queue and applied those which are safe
to apply.  A few conflicted with more recent changes.  In those cases,
I have generally looked at functional differences where I can.

I have a few patches which cannot be applied as such, but represent
needed changes in the application.  These will be re-engineered and
applied perhaps tomorrow with one exception.

The exception has to do with user creation where the desired username
is not a LedgerSMB user but is a db cluster user in PostgreSQL.

Currently we refuse to create the user when this happens.  This is the
default safe approach.  We have a patch to change this behavior so
that it will import an existing user.  This makes a lot of sense in
some environments (multiple companies on one db cluster, same
bookkeepers), but it is dangerous in others (managed hosting
environments).  The concern I have is that it may be a case of
accidently giving one user permission to another database without
warning.  On the other hand, sometimes that is desired behavior.

Personally, if I would buy into a managed hosting solution, I would
want my hosting provider to set me up with a separate cluster / VPS.
So, in that situation, it wouldn't be too bad. How about an option in
ledgersmb.conf to allow it, but setting it to 'off'/false by default
to prevent unwanted security risks?

That would also be my preference. I can see both ways of looking at it, of course, but I would probably need it active more than not, and it would be annoying to use a patch or add-on for something that seems perfectly amenable to a runtime configuration option.

Luke